Monday, November 30, 2009

The Fantastic Mr. Fox



While sitting down at the multiplex over Thanksgiving I wasn't prepared for the most emotionally satisfying Wes Anderson film since The Royal Tenenbaums.  Mr. Fox is also the most dynamic lead since Royal so I shouldn't be that surprised.  Lajos Egri made a fairly convincing case that character is plot back in 1942. Here is further evidence that he may have been on to something.

I'm confident TFMF is a film that will continue to get richer and more satisfying over time so go see it in theaters while you can.  The Fox family is resilient and special.  The script is sharp, sincere and well-written.  The animation is beautiful.  I hope this does big business but the quirkier aspects will probably narrow its appeal.

But even when you strip away the more polarizing aspects of this film (which I really do love), you're still left with a story that's ultimately about survival and fighting for what you want in life.  And so I still have to believe (hope) that this movie will be irresistible to a wider audience, even if it doesn't do Pixar-type box office.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I promised Mickey I would wait and see it with him in Ashland over Christmas, but after reading this post I have to go see it. Thanks for that, Garrison!

Unknown said...

Loved every little microscopic detail of it - the composition, the colour tone, the play on language.. and on and on. Yes, it is a film that gets more and more fascinating with time. (Akin to Royal Tenenbaums)