Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Dream

It's my hope that this new blog inspires me like teaching once did.

What I miss most about teaching film was that it reconnected me to my dream of making movies. Working with film students each week reminded me that the dream was exhilarating and fun. I saw it in their faces.

I once attended Art Center College of Design in Pasadena as an eager twenty-three year-old, devouring film history and studying everything there was to know about making movies.

The thought of NOT making it as a filmmaker never entered my mind. It was only a matter of time before I was directing.

The next 14 years trying to "make it" were more than frustrating. They were demoralizing. From age 24 to 38, I fell on my face countless times. The skill I mastered most during that time was putting positive spin on my "career" conversations with family over the holidays.

Meanwhile the rejections piled up and the idea of directing a real movie was beginning to feel impossible.

In my early-thirties I began teaching courses on screenwriting, directing and cinematography at Santa Barbara City College. The rest of my work week was consumed by the painful DIY struggle to get the feature film CALVIN MARSHALL made.

It was my one last push before giving up and doing something else with my life.

I'm pleased to say that CALVIN MARSHALL is now in post-production. And, our great team at Broken Sky Films is already working hard at getting a second feature film made.

I will try to keep the cynicism here to a minimum.

My only goals are to stay connected to that wellspring of passion that many of us have for movies and to perhaps help someone else out there along the way.

No comments: