Monday, December 14, 2009

Wow and Flutter


Here's my little Christmas present to anyone out there who reads this blog.  A hi-res QuickTime download of our 2004 short film WOW AND FLUTTER.  (195 MB)

This 17 minute calling card was instrumental in helping get Calvin Marshall made.  It was shot with a tiny crew in a few days on 35mm short ends.  We used an old ARRI BL-2 -- the same kind of camera Kubrick used on the Shining.

It's been five years since finishing Wow and Flutter and I feel somewhat removed from the experience of making it.  I can now watch the film objectively and enjoy it for what it is, almost as if someone else wrote and directed.  Over all, I love the tone and subtext in this movie and I'm a sucker for any film about infatuation expressed through a mix tape.

Like Calvin Marshall, this short has a soundtrack I still love.  The use of The Orchids was a dream for me -- not to mention Red Red Groovy, Damien Jurado and of course The Go-Betweens.  (I passed a copy to Robert Forster and Grant McLennan at their Troubador gig in 2005.  Less than a year later Grant tragically died of a heart attack)

Also on the soundtrack are quite a few indies.  It's so cool to think Tracker, Petracovich, Buellton, Manta Ray and Brown ended up on David's mix tape.  This fourteen year-old kid had a preternatural taste in music.

5 comments:

Dan Shargel said...

Pretty cool. Downloading it now.

lunchpail said...

thanks, hope you enjoy it! -Gary

Jason said...

I enjoyed it very much. Glad to have stumbled onto it.

Dusti said...

Loved it - thanks for making it available! :)

Anonymous said...

i'd really love to see it. any chance of a reupload?